Shopping for the best Dutch oven can be quiet a tedious task, but once you get it right, you can bake loaves of bread, simmer soups, and braise roast pots like a chef. But which size of Dutch pot is the most ideal, what brand should be bought, how much should be spent? These questions are difficult to answer without an expert to guide you.
Fortunately, you are just in luck as in this article we will be reviewing not one but eight of the best products on the market. So, come along as we begin, shall we?
- 1 Best Dutch Oven America’s Test Kitchen (Consumer Reports)
- 1.1 1. Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Oven
- 1.2 2. Lodge Deep Camp Dutch Oven, 8 Quart
- 1.3 3. Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Enameled Cast Iron Casserole
- 1.4 4. Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven, 6 Quart
- 1.5 5. Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 5 Quart
- 1.6 6. AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven
- 1.7 7. Simple Calphalon Nonstick 7-qt Dutch Oven
- 1.8 8. Camp Chef 13” Square Dutch Oven
- 2 Conclusion
Best Dutch Oven America’s Test Kitchen (Consumer Reports)
Read on to discover the top eight products on the market.
1. Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Oven
In need of a dependable Dutch oven that’s suitable for handling any recipe for many years to come? If yes then look no further than Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Oven. It is made of cast iron with a heavy-duty enamel covering. The exterior enamel coating is designed to resist peeling and chipping while the interior is made to resist stains.
Also, the pot features an easy-grip oversized handle, the Dutch oven has an overall size of 5.5-quarts, 4.5-inch-deep and 10.2 inches in diameter. The knob can withstand up to 500oF of heat while the rest of the pot can withstand a temperature of 350oF.
It comes in a variety of fun colors, from the neutral ones to gem tones and every other color in between. The most interesting part is its lifetime limited warranty which inspires a confident purchase.
- Can withstand high temperature
- Versatile and durable
- Comes in lots of fun colors
- Product is heavy
2. Lodge Deep Camp Dutch Oven, 8 Quart
You can have all the flavors and tastiness of a pot of sup, bread, ribs, roast and every other meal with this Dutch oven. The body is made of cast iron while the lid has a soy-based vegetable oil giving it a nonstick finish. It’s an 8-quart pot with a weight of 20 pounds and 12-inch diameter, it is also 5.5 inch deep hence giving the pot plenty of room to cook a large meal.
The lid can be used as a griddle while being flanged to hold hot coals, also it features three legs at the base for added stability when being placed on the fire. We love its smart design and its loop handle which makes it easy to hang the pot when you are done using it.
Besides, Lodge Deep Camp Dutch Oven, 8 Quart offers a lifetime durability warranty. It is easy to clean just as long as you wash it off immediately after use, it also features suggested recipes.
- The lid also functions like a skillet
- Coals can be placed on top of the oven for even heat distribution
- It is durable and easy to clean
- Not suitable for stovetop and oven use
3. Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Enameled Cast Iron Casserole
When it’s cold and you wish to warm your stew, trust Cuisinart Chef’s Classic Enameled Cast Iron Casserole to come in handy, this is owing to its heat-retaining capacity and even distributing cast iron which is coated with porcelain enamel on the exterior as well as the interior. It comes in a variety of colors and designs, this includes a black oval-shaped 5.5-quart, a red 5 and 3-quart, and a blue 7-quart.
Besides, it is safe for use on a broiler, stovetop, or oven, it is also dishwasher safe, however, we don’t recommend it, just a good handwashing will do as it will preserve your pot for much longer. Also, the Dutch oven is sturdily built and is easy to use, it is also suitable for making delicious stew.
- It has an attractive design
- Has superior heat retention and distribution capacity
- It is versatile and durable
- It is prone to chipping
4. Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven, 6 Quart
Another product we found worthy is the Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven, 6 Quart. The made in China Dutch oven comes in six different sizes ranging from 1.5 quarts to 7.5 quarts, it also features ten varieties of colors including purple, Caribbean blue, and red. It is designed to withstand temperatures as high as 500oF.
Moreover, the Dutch oven is dishwasher friendly, however, its better to opt for handwashing, as this makes it last longer. It has a dimension of 13.56L x 10.98W x 4.68H inches, it is round-shaped and is made of cast iron for long-lasting durability.
- Excellent for searing meat
- It features large handles
- It has a low price point
- Pot chips
5. Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 5 Quart
Utopia Kitchen Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Dutch Oven, 5 Quart features integrated side handles and a lid for a secure transportation and steam protection, it is suitable for long cooking over low heat such as braising and can be easily placed on a stove, it can also be placed on a table and used as a serving dish.
It is made of enameled cast iron with an outer diameter of 25.70cm, a thickness of 0.50cm, and a height of 4.7cm. It is well designed and durable and can withstand high temperatures of up to 500oF. The cast iron content makes it resistant to leaching chemicals while also providing up to 20% iron, an essential vitamin in the human body. To wash, simply allow to cool and thereafter use a sponge with warm soapy water.
- Suitable for slow and low heat cooking
- Has an integrated side handle for transportation and steam protection
- Doesn’t leach chemicals
- Not dishwasher safe
6. AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven
From its design down to its look, we love everything about the AmazonBasics Enameled Cast Iron Covered Dutch Oven. It is made of cast iron and comes in an attractive blue color while being safe to use at a temperature as high as 400oF.
The cast iron gives it even heat retention and distribution while the enamel coating ensures it doesn’t stick, it also prevents reaction with the food, however, ensure you opt for handwash rather than use a dishwasher.
It is suitable for marinating proteins, cooking or storing food, its loop sided handles make it easy to transport while being suitable for all cooking surfaces.
- Has a secure-fitting lid
- Cast-iron ensures even heat distribution and retention
- Loop sided handles for ease of transportation
- Takes a while to heat up when compared to lighter pans
7. Simple Calphalon Nonstick 7-qt Dutch Oven
If you will rather go for a lightweight product, then Simple Calphalon Nonstick 7-qt Dutch Oven is certainly the ideal Dutch oven for you. It features a nonstick interior for easy release and cleans up too while having comfortable silicone handles that stay cool even on the stovetop. It is made of hard-anodized aluminum hence making it a long-lasting product.
Besides, it is versatile with an oversized vessel and is oven safe up to a temperature as high as 400oF. It works great whether on a stovetop, oven, or table. It has a drawn construction with an impact-bonded aluminum base to give it maximum heat retention.
Furthermore, it features 2 layers of nonstick coating for long-lasting performance and is also safe for use with nylon. Best of all, it comes with a whopping 10-year warranty.
- It is sturdy, durable, and yet lightweight
- Handles stay cool under the heat
- It is versatile and efficient
- The non-stick coating starts to come off after a while
8. Camp Chef 13” Square Dutch Oven
Camp Chef 13” Square Dutch Oven has a true seasoned finish and is made of cast iron to give it long-lasting durability and stability while ensuring even distribution and retention of heat, it also has an inbuilt thermometer notch to help keep track of the cooking temperature without opening the lid.
It has a versatile lid as it reverses with raised ridges which can be used as a grill, it also has a legless design which makes it suitable for home ovens. It has a lid depth of 1 ½”, a total volume of 8 quarts, a height of 5 ¼” with an inside depth of 3 ¼”.
- Features an in-built thermometer notch for a temperature check
- Has superior heat retention and distribution capacity
- Has a versatile lid
- Care should be taken during delivery to avoid defects
A Dutch oven is every kitchen’s workhorse, it is capable of turning out savory stews and soups, braise meats till its tender and perfect and bake crusty loaves of bread. The best Dutch oven is long-lasting and sturdy, it is versatile, efficient, and easy to clean, and best of all, it won’t cost an arm and a leg. These are the products we have reviewed in this article, so go ahead and make your selection.